ELIZABETH M. LOCKE, P.C.
Libby is a highly accomplished defamation lawyer and commercial litigator who devotes her practice to representing clients facing high-profile reputational attacks and litigating complex business disputes.
Libby has extensive experience representing clients in defamation matters adverse to national print, broadcast, and online media outlets—and she routinely advises clients who are dealing with the media in crisis situations. She has litigated high-profile libel and slander cases and—both in and outside of the litigation process—has obtained prominent corrections, retractions, and apologies for her clients. In the courtroom, Libby was lead trial counsel for Nicole Eramo in a defamation action against Rolling Stone magazine, securing a $3 million jury verdict for the false and defamatory article about an alleged gang-rape at the University of Virginia. Libby is lead appellate counsel for former Gov. Sarah Palin before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals arising out of a false and defamatory article published by The New York Times. She is also actively litigating matters against CNN, Bloomberg, Katie Couric, and Anderson Cooper. Outside the courtroom, some of Libby’s biggest defamation “wins” are stories the public will never hear about; she has killed flawed articles, storylines, and broadcast segments in outlets including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Vanity Fairand The Dr. Oz Show.
As a former partner at one of the nation’s premier law firms, Libby also has extensive experience handling complex business disputes in state and federal courts around the country. Libby has litigated class actions, mass actions, data breaches, agent compensation issues, hurricane and catastrophe coverage issues, associational standing cases, efforts by the media to intervene and unseal confidential documents and information, internal leak investigations, securities matters, RICO, and construction matters. As a former law clerk on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and mentee of senior appellate litigation partners at Kirkland, Libby has extensive experience handling appeals and amicus briefs in the federal Courts of Appeals, the United States Supreme Court and the Virginia Supreme Court.
Libby is ranked as a Band 1 global defamation/reputation management provider in the 2016 and 2017 Chambers & Partners HNW directory for the private wealth market. In 2014 and 2017, she was named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine. Libby and her work are regularly featured in the news, including most recently on ABC’s 20/20, CNN, and in The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal.
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Virginia Supreme Court
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center, Law In A New Media World
- Adjunct Professor, George Washington University, Legal Research and Writing
- Adjunct Professor, George Washington University, Introduction to Advocacy
- Guest Lecturer, Georgetown University Law Center, Free Press Seminar
- Guest Lecturer, Georgetown University Law Center, Trial Practice
- Guest Lecturer, Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Trial Practice
- Panelist, The Future of Libel Law, Federalist Society National Lawyer’s Convention
- Lecturer, CLE Program, Managing a Hostile Press
- Panelist, Georgetown University Law Center, Reckless Disregard for the Private Citizen
- Featured Speaker, IFRA North America’s 2012 Fall Meeting
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Georgetown Journal of Law & Public Policy, Executive Editor
- Barristers’ Counsel, Moot Court team
New York University, B.A. cum laude
Politics and Economics, 2001
- Albert S. Borgman Memorial Prize for best senior honors thesis in social sciences
- Rita Cooley Scholar for outstanding academic scholarship in political science
- Founders Day Award for overall outstanding academic excellence
Partner, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, 2011-2014
Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, 2006-2011
Law Clerk to the Honorable Rhesa H. Barksdale, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2005-2006