Joe is a seasoned and accomplished litigator whose practice focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation and defamation at the trial and appellate levels and advising clients facing high-profile reputational attacks. He has represented clients, including numerous Fortune 500 companies, in a wide variety of matters involving defamation, class actions, constitutional law, antitrust law, environmental law and toxic torts, bankruptcy, securities law, fraud, contract disputes, and trade secrets.
Joe has extensive experience in both state and federal trial and appellate courts. He played a key role on the trial team that represented Nicole Eramo in her successful defamation lawsuit against Rolling Stone magazine regarding the now-discredited article “A Rape on Campus” that falsely reported the purported cover-up of an alleged gang rape at the University of Virginia. The Clare Locke team secured a $3 million jury verdict, which Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly featured as one of the largest verdicts of 2016.
Drawing on his experience as a law clerk on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Joe has also handled numerous successful appeals for clients before federal and state appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals, and Supreme Court of Virginia. Most recently, Joe won a highly-publicized federal appellate victory for Gov. Sarah Palin over The New York Times in a defamation case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Joe also recently achieved a significant victory for a client before the Supreme Court of Virginia, securing the reversal of a multi-million dollar jury verdict.
In addition to his litigation work, Joe also represents individuals and companies facing high-profile and sensitive reputational attacks and has secured many successful results for his clients outside of litigation, including the killing of many proposed stories and the retraction of numerous articles by national and international media outlets.
Joe has maintained an active pro bono practice, including having represented numerous religious institutions as amici in support of the successful petitioners in the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark religious freedom case, Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church & School v. EEOC, 565 U.S. 171 (2012). Joe also worked closely with the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia in launching the first legal clinic in Southwest DC offering free legal services. He has received multiple pro bono service awards for his work.
Prior to joining Clare Locke in November 2014, Joe was a litigation partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, one of the nation’s premier law firms, where he represented clients in complex civil litigation in federal and state courts across the country.
Joe has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine for seven consecutive years, in commercial litigation (2014) and business litigation (2015 through 2020).
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- Professorial Lecturer in Law, Scholarly Writing, The George Washington University Law School, 2009 – 2013
- Professorial Lecturer in Law, Advanced Field Placement, The George Washington University Law School, 2018 – Present
- Converse-Erie: The Key to Federalism in an Increasingly Administrative State, 76 Geo. Wash. L. Rev. 1372 (2008)
- Foreign Military Sales: Contract Disputes Act Jurisdiction and Third-Party Beneficiary Issues, 37 Pub. Cont. L.J. 923 (2008) (co-author)
The George Washington University Law School J.D., with Highest Honors, 2008
- Order of the Coif
- Managing Editor, The George Washington Law Review
Harvard University, A.B.,
magna cum laude, Government, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa
- John Harvard Scholar
Partner, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, 2014
Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, 2009-2014
Law Clerk, The Hon. Edward C. Prado, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit,